Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The parallels of running and life

I got a message from a running friend, Dano, who had an interesting outlook on the parallels of a good, long trail run and real life. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this, but I thought it was great insight on trail runs, but also our journeys in life.

We were sharing our war stories of the weekends trail race (like my previous post on the Sunmart 50 miler). Many people had similar stories to tell about the pain, the perserverence, and most importantly the fun we had sharing some time with other trail running friends. Here was Dano's take on the adventure:

reminded me of how it seems one of the many lessons for dano over the last year of running has been how much running parallels "real life" - whatever that means. 'specially trails. it dawned on me while reading our band's collection of stories from this weekend. no rocket science here, but it seems like in life, like on the long trail - you never know who you are going to meet up with - you never know how long the company is going to last - and you never know how either one of you is going to react to (or even make it through) what is waiting around the next bend. the best thing that you can do is to enjoy the current moment. nothing else really matters. the past, not a dang thing you can do - you can't take back a fall or an ankle roll. the future, won't come the way you expect it - it will be a surprise - no matter what. so that leaves the moment - this moment.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

That statement makes it sounds so simple...yet it never is. Such a tangled trail we travel....

Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Very true words from Dano- I liked our little Rogue running group- lots of support and interesting stories from everyone. Enjoy Bandera and the other ultras on your list. I'm even thinking about attempting a 50 miler...someday!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for your comment. I also had a great time with the Rogue group. Running has always been very personal for me, but in this case I don't think I could have done it alone.

Enjoy your time off with your family (it's well deserved) and I hope to see you out on the trails again soon.