Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Great GPS Find

I have a GPS watch that I got as a gift over a year ago, and I almost never wear it. I don't mind the size or weight (it's a Garmin Forerunner 201), it's just that the software for it sucks. It just wasn't ever worth having the details of the run because there was nothing to do with the data once you had it. I'm a computer engineer, which makes me a little geeky, and I like looking at data. But it has to be formatted in a usable way... It's so bad that I even started to write my own software to analyze the data in the GPS, but I never finished it.

So I stumbled upon a website which just got bought by Garmin a while back. Maybe most people were already aware of this website, but I found it and it's incredible. It's call MotionBased. You can track you loaction, speed, altitude, etc. It looks up the weather on that day in that location and stores that. And you can overlay the route on Google Maps, or even Google Earth. It's great.

And finallly, you can export the data to a iframe to put in a blog! Here's my last run at St. Edwards park.





Check it out if you have a GPS. I might start wearing mine finally.

No comments: