Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Reasons why I run

I put together 12 reasons why I run. There are plenty more, but these are the ones on my mind these days. I'm sure every runner has a different list, but this is mine.

12. It gives me more energy
I didn’t realize it at the time, but before I started running I was drained of energy. I worked (and still do) 60-70 hours per week usually. When I finished the day I came home, ate dinner, watched too much TV, and was drained and ready for bed. Then one day I started running, and all of that changed. I still work, I still watch too much TV, but now I have energy all day long. I don't have days where I have no energy. Sure, after a very long run I get tired, and I don't have any immediate energy. But after a shower and a snack, I'm ready to go. It's a small difference in my day to day environment, but I go through the day feeling great. I've seen the top of the mountain, and I can never go back down.
11. To control my weight.
When I started running, I weighed about 230 lbs. I wasn't extremely fat, I'm 6'0" and it was spread pretty evenly. But I wanted to lose some weight, and I like eating too much to stop. 6 months later I was training for a marathon, and I weighed under 200. Now, if you like this reason, then you really need to get into trail running and ultramarathons. There is nothing you can't eat in your peak milage while training for a 50-miler. I'm not saying you should, Im just simply saying you can.
10. To constanly challenge myself.
For me, the challenge is within. I don't have too many races where I have a specific time goal. I've had a few and I usually end up disappointed. But for me, the challenge is to have fun while I train, see new things and meet new people, and when the times comes for a race, I don't need a watch. My challenege is to run as hard as I can and to push things as far as they can go. When my race is over, I don't need to see the time. I know whether I had a good race because I gave it everything I had and ignored the pain in my legs, the struggle in my lungs, and the pounding of my heart. One of my friends makes fun of me because, whenever I have a slow race, it's always because I went out too fast. And I aways say, "I felt good early, so I stepped it up." Well, to me, there is no other way to race. If I conserve, and finish strong, I'll never kow what could have happened if I went out hard. But if I go hard, and I have that rare day where eveything goes great, I can finish hard and honestly say that I could not have run better. Sure, for many people that would lead to some seriously disappointing times. But for me, it's the only way to challenge myself.
9. You get to meet good people. Especially on the trails
I've met a lot of good people out running, and I've turned some friends into runners. Overall, I'd say I like the running community and would prefer to spend time with them (even if it's just saying "hi" while passing them on the road) than with co-workers or other random people. They are good people, with good spirits. But I have to say, when I started running trails and meeting people in training groups and at the trail running events, I really found my niche. These places are filled with runners that share my motives, my desires. They understand the reasons to run. They all have interesting stories, and they all love the feel of the trail beneath their feet. They don't worry so much about time, as they do about the experience. They understand that running, like life, is about the journey and not the destination.
8. It's a cheap hobby. All I need is a pair of shoes.
I love that I can run at a moments notice. When I get out of work early, I head to a trail and strap on my shoes. And I'm off. Or if I'm travelling to a new place and see some cool hills or hear of some tough trails, I strap on my shoes and I'm off. When I started running I bought a $40 pair of shoes and never had a blister. It doesn't take much to get out there. There are no good excuses.
7. It's dependable
Running is always there for me. It's a relationship that always forgives. I can ignore it for awhile, but when I come crawling back, it's there for me. Sure, it might punish me with some sore legs and some heavy lungs, but it takes me in. It abuses me at times, but also gives me some of my biggest rewards. It comes with me wherever I go, and gives me confidence. It's there to listen when I'm stressed out with work, or mad at life. It's there to celebrate with me when I'm excited and want to enjoy the outdoors. It will go with me in the heat, the snow, the rain… Running will stay with me until my legs give out, and even then I'll have the memories.
6. It's better than other addictions
Smoking and drinking might work for some, but they are expensive and/or time consuming. Some people depend on drugs or gambling. For me, I would prefer to run.
5. To enjoy the outdoors
Before I started running, I never understood environmentalists (AKA tree-huggers). I didn’t get it. I thought it was stupid to worry more about parks, trees, and grass compared to the advancement of society (technology, parking lots, new buldings, etc). Now, when I go out to St. Edwards or Barton Creek, and I find the rare spots where you can't hear a single car, or you see some wildlife nearby, I get it. I love the rush of being outside, alone in the wild, at dusk or at dawn. I never got excited about a walk in the park, but now I love those perfect weather days where I sneak out of work early to get on the trails all alone.
4. Escape from the rest of life's complications
Like everyone else, I have a job, a family, a house, and all the rest. Which means responsibilites, deadlines, mortgage payments, stress, and all the rest. Some people use time running to organize their lives, and figure things out. To prioritize commitments, or to solve problems. Not me. I use it as a time to clear my mind. Stress and worries disappear during those hours, and even if they return when I'm finished, things just aren't as urgent. I feel better the rest of the day.
3. It cleanses my soul
I don’t know what I think about during most of my runs. Sometimes I finish a 2-3 hour run and I can't remember a darn thing. All I know is I feel very spiritual during the run, and afterwards. Some people are more comfortable in a church praying, others use yoga and meditation. For me, my soul is cleansed when I run. I can use the time to talk to God, to give thanks for my blessings in life. Or I can use it to complain about things that are going wrong. But this is a personal time that is just impossible to get in any other environment without a serious amount of commitment and discipline.
2. Because I have to
Sometimes there is no explanation. I do it because I have to.
1. No matter my mood, I've never NOT felt better after a run, than I did before the run
Sure, sometimes my feet hurt or my knees hurt. Sometimes I'm sore for a day or two, and I've had a few injuries along the way. But I can say, without exception, that regardless of how I felt as I put on my shoes before a run, I always feel better when taking them off. Physically, mentally, spiritually. I've never had a run I regretted, I've never caught myself saying I should have run less.

1 comment:

brownie said...

Couldn't have said it better myself, TJ! Would like to be able to list "trail running groupies" someday, but until then, your reasons are good enough to keep me going.