Saturday, July 01, 2006

Crappy Sports Weekend

On a non-running note, what a crappy weekend of sports news.

First, I get to work on Friday and find out that Randy Walker, the head football coach of my alma-mater, Northwestern, died of an apparent heart attack. He became coach when I was a junior in college. He was a good coach, and from what I knew, a great guy.

Then, I get online last night to read some Tour de France previews only to realize that a huge scandal had just broke. It was not a huge surprise, I think a lot of people saw it coming, but I had no clue it would be this big. Basso, out; Ullrich, out; Mancebo, out; Vinikourav, my favorite, is out too because he could not even field a team of 6 (he is not accused, by the way). It's good for some American contendors, but absolutely horrible for the sport. I was happy to see that no Discovery riders, nor top Americans, were involved. Also happy to see Vino was not accused either. But you know what, the TdF people deserved this after the way they treated Lance. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Then, today I had to watch France beat Brazil in the World Cup again?!? And while I was not surprised to see Agassi or Roddick lose in Wimbledon, that just topped off a terrible sports weekend. At least I can still root for my girl, Martina Hingis.

Oh, wait....

2 comments:

JohnF said...

This loss could ether make for a very interesting Tour de France, or else a very dull one.

brownie said...

Hey, did Anna Kournikova win?

Yeah, seems like another debacle for the Tour.