Sunday, July 23, 2006

Finding My Groove

I finally had a good run this morning. I met the Rogue group at the Hill of Life this morning for an "easy" hour of running. Most of them just got back from a trip out to colorado for the Barr Mountain Trail Race, while I was back here at 100 ft elevation running flatlander style. It was recovery for the BMTR runners, and since we are all heading out to Bandera next weekend for some long runs, just taking it easy.

I started off easy, but about 10 minutes into the run I felt good. Really good. It was something I haven't felt in weeks, so I started picking up the pace. It felt so good to be running fast on single track trails, hitting sharp turns, leaping rocks and roots, like I had been doing a month ago. I felt really alive. That feeling is exactly what I love about trail running, and so I took advantage of it. It's the feeling that all of us trail runners seek, the thing we can't describe to our friends and coworkers no matter how hard we try.

I finished the loop in one hour, and stopped with the group. I was tempted to head back out for another hour or two, but knew it was best to stop. I have 40 miles planned for next weekend on some tough Bandera, TX terrain, no sense in wasting it all now. For the first time in awhile, I can't wait to get back out there.

5 comments:

brownie said...

Have fun in Bandera this weekend!

brownie said...

When you getting into Colorado for Pikes?

matt said...

just wanted to wish you good luck with the peak this weekend. look forward to reading all about it.

JohnF said...

TJ, It was great seeing you as the second Rogue to come back down from Pikes Peak when I passed you above A-Frame. Wish I had my camera ready. Congratulations on a strong comeback.

brownie said...

Yeah, when is the marathon update?