Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What's New?

I haven't posted anything in a while, so figured I'd give an update. My running has been pretty good, I've been running descent (boring) miles most of the week, just squeezing in miles as my schedule allows. Went out to Bastrop last weekend with Jim for a longer run, but it was hot and he got pretty tired, so we cut the run a bit short. No big deal, I didn't want to push it that day, and he's still recovering from Freescale.

The biggest news is from yesterday when I went to the podiatrist, finally, for my foot injury. I was reluctant to go, but the doc is a runner, so I figured I'd trust her. She diagnosed me with about 5 injuries, all stemming from an initial case of plantar fasciitis. That came form the Warda 44 miler in Novermber. After that, when I finished training for Sunmart and ran that, I eventually developed several forms of tendonitis in just about every tendon in my leg.

I knew I could trust the doctor when she asked me how much I ran. I told her a lot, and she asked, "marathons?" I told her that I did those and some longer runs, and she excitingly replied "Ultramarathons!?! Cool!" She then taped up my feet, gave me some stretches and exercises, and told me to run a LOT this week. To keep a "pain log" and give her all the details in 2 weeks when I go back. Any doctor that doesn't tell me to rest is a doctor for me. So now I'm running all out for the next two weeks with no excuses. I ran 5 last night at St Ed's when I got home from the doctor. The tape job she gave me seemed to help. It simulates an orthodic, and if it continues to work, then I'll be a candidate for that.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the HOL to run some trails with Joe and some other HCTR folks. I've been a member for a few months now, and yet never ran with any of them. So this should be a good time.

Happy trails.

1 comment:

brownie said...

Glad you found a good doc, they're hard to find nowadays.

Those HOL club runs rock! I sure miss 'em!