Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hills

I got a new workout from Joe P, so Jim and I decided to make a weekly workout out of it... It was really tough hill repeats. I'd compare each hill to running up Jester, just a little longer. My legs were destroyed at the top of each hill, which I attempted to run hard. But walking/jogging back down allowed for a quick recovery before the next hill.

All you Austin runners out there, you need to check this out. The course starts at Valburn and Ladera Norte. Head down the steep hill on Ladera Norte to Far West. Run up the hill on Far West to North Hills. Now turn around and run back to the beginning. Repeat until your legs fall off.

We'll do this for a few more weeks, then change it up by easing the uphills and focusing on down hills. I don't lilke speed work, but I love hill workouts. My lungs were heaving, my legs were burning, and we had a ton of fun. Effort-wise, I'd say it was a little tougher than Hill of Life repeats, but without the technical parts since its on the road. Anyone out there interested in trying it out? Let me know, we're gonna do it every Tuesday for the next 3 months.

5 comments:

tripped over a rock said...

Hey TJ! Thanks for voting today. What about snake vs branch? I live close to those streets, so I'll have to try Joe's killer hill run soon. Although it might be tough - I have my own hill course that I love and it's gonna be hard to try something different. I liked the hilly part of stratford but hated how everyone crosses the river and runs the flat along L.A.Blvd. So here's what I came up with, it's called Melissa's Davenport Death run. Park at Davenport Village (at 360 and Westgate). Run Westgate all the way to Redbud, cut left on Redbud to Stratford, Stratford over to the Mopac water stop. Refill water bottles and run back. 8 miles each way, and it's almost nothing but killer hills. And the water in the middle is a big bonus.

brownie said...

Carey Jung, an ex-HCTR guy who fell off the face of the earth after DNFing at Bighorn, used to run those all the time. Think some of the Rogue groups do those hills as well.

Anonymous said...

i am inspired to find something similar to this in my neck of the woods for this weekend's workout. thanks, TJ!

TJ said...

The Melissa's Davenport Death run looks like fun. I think I'll try it out soon.

Rafael said...

Is it wrong that something with the name "Death run" sounds like a lot of fun? Cuz, it sounds like fun to me