Tuesday, May 30, 2006

12hr Run At Inks Lake

I got an email today on the HCTR email list about a 12hr night run out at Inks Lake. I've never run a 12hr run, but this sounds like a good first-time experience. It's at a great park (home of the Rocky Trails Marathon), it's at night, there's gonna be a bonfire and grill, and they'll make us breakfast in the morning. It's also for a good cause, the American Cancer Society. Oh, and we get to run for 12 straight hours in big circles. Does it get any better than this?

Here's the information I got. If anyone wants more information, you can contact Brad Quinn at bradtquinn@hotmail.com. Hope to see you all out there. I'll post more info when I see it.

Hey TJ,

It was good to get your email. The event will be held at Inks Lake State Park, which is approx. 10 miles outside of Burnet. It will be a charity event will all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. This will be a 12 hour trail run/walk starting at 730 pm, Saturday July 8th and ending 730 am Sunday July 9th. The course consists of rocky hill climbs and run-able forest trail (single track), approx. 7.0 miles with two main aid stations 3.5 miles apart (with a possible un-staffed station at mile 5).
They will be fully stocked with the usual ultra food and beverages. The start/finish is located at the youth camping area (off Hover Valley road; approx. 2 miles from the park entrance) which has ample parking and over-night camping available (no additional charge; no utilities). The camping area has a brand new bathroom facility, a large bon-fire ring, picnic tables, and grills. This area will also serve as the First Aid station and for personal drop bags. Staff will be cooking breakfast Sunday morning. This new and secluded youth area should be ideal for our over night race time needs. The cost will be $60 with any additional donations appreciated. Awards will be given for the most laps/mileage completed by 730 am (3 deep male/female and masters). Our website and registration form should be up in the next 2-3 days, including additional information.

Our main goal for putting on a race like this is too raise awareness and funds on a local level for cancer research and prevention, while participating in a fun and healthy event with family and friends. Please feel free to pass on this race information to anyone who might enjoy participating or volunteering in an event like ours. I will email you a link to our website by the end of the week and/or check Hillcountrytrailrunners.com for further information. TJ, thanks for your interest and support. Please email me with any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Brad Quinn

ps 7/10 will be a full moon, should be fun!

5 comments:

brownie said...

Great trails out there at Inks Lake, you'll have a blast!

matt said...

sounds like it would be a great experience, tj. what kind of distance goal do you have?

TJ said...

That's a good question... Last time I ran out there was a trail marathon, and it took be something like 5 hours or maybe 5:30. So anything over 50 would be great.

I also had a really bad run that day, so it's hard to judge. I think it was a combination of the heat, my lack of trail experience, and very poor pacing.

I'm trying to get some other people to come out for this, and if they come, I'll just try to go out there and have some fun. It'll be my first night race and my first 12-hr run.

Anonymous said...

Hey TJ- I'm a tiny bit considering doing the shorter version of this...Do you know of any other folks that are doing it also?

TJ said...

I'm working on that now. :)

I know a few people who are interested, but scared to commit. You should do it, I think it will be a ton of fun. And if you do the 6hr, you'll still get a good nights sleep...

See you at the Belt?