Monday, June 12, 2006

Tragedy strikes Pittsburgh

I got back to work after leaving for a long lunch to watch the US Soccer match, which by the way did not go very well. When I got back to my desk there was a voicemail form my dad, and his voice sounded alarmed. He seemed to be in shock, as if a family member was critically hurt or another 911 had occured.

But then he told me what the emergency was all about. Ben Roethlisberger has been in a motorcycle accident, and because he was not wearing a helmet, is in critical but stable condition. It's crazy how serious us Yinzers (AKA Pittsburghers) take our football.

I like Big Ben a lot, he is a great QB, a real genuine down to earth guy, a family man, and from all things I have heard, just a really good guy. But he's also a rich athlete who thinks he's invincible. Riding without a helmet is a silly thing to do. I really hope he will be OK for the sake of himself, his family, and the entire city that lives through him when he's on the field. I also hope he'll fully recover and stay off of his bike, or at least wear a helmet.


Sorry, this has very little to do with running or being, but since everyone in the office has to come up to me to talk to me about this story, I thought I'd get a little of it off my chest.

4 comments:

brownie said...

I pity the guy that hit him. He'll have to move his family out of the city.

TJ said...

I read that it was a 62 year old woman...

Latest news is that he broke his jaw and nose. Hopefully that's the extent of the injury...

Donald said...

Yeah, I heard he was OK today, nothing life- or career-threatening. That's good news.

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

matt said...

i can't believe this guy is getting out of the hospital tomorrow or friday. talk about lucky!