Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Training and having fun

After my post about taking a day or two off, Matt asked me what my plans were for training the next two weeks until the 12-hour run. I started to respond and then stopped. I realized that I don't know the answer. I could get a good run in this weekend, then start tapering. Or I could start tapering now. Or I could ignore tapering altogether, because this is just another fun training run.

So I choose the last option, I'm just going out there to have fun, and this run is not my main goal. The problem is, I don't know what my main goal is. I don't even know if I have a main goal! First, it was Pike's Peak. But not long into that training, I secretly started planning on the Bandera 100K, so then Bandera became my big goal for the year, but as always, I've also been considering some other things. I don't know where this is all going, but it does make me realize that it's not in my nature as a runner to pick one single goal and focus solely on it. I did this with Sunmart last year, and it worked, but some of the joy I get out of running was lost with this attitude. It might result in a better peak performance and faster times, but what's the point if it's not fun?

I asked a friend of mine once how he trains for 100 milers, as I was challenged so much by a mere 50 miles. His response... he hasn't "trained" in years. He just goes out there to run for fun, and sometimes he gets to have fun for a really long time, like, say, 24+ hours straight for a 100 miler. I guess this is my attitude also, although sometimes I get caught up in the big challenges and times and all that, at the end of the day, I just want to go out there, relax and have fun. Suffer a little, maybe, but always look back knowing that it was a good time.

So, whether it is a 12 hour run in a few weeks, a 100K in a few months, or any other distance at any other time, I don't think I'll change my "training" too much. I figure, if I keep making it more fun, I'll do it more. If I do it more, it'll get easier and more fun. And whether this leads me to 100 milers, or I change directions and decide to start running 10K's, I'll have no regrets.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Came over from Matt's as I liked your sound advice. Good luck enjoying 12 hr run and anything else you set out to do!

matt said...

Taking this kind of approach is ideally where I would like to be with my running. That is exactly the kind of experience that I had at my trail marathon a few weeks ago. I am not so naïve that I think 50K, 50 milers, and longer will be blissful the entire time, but if I can have that kind of fun through 75% of the run, then I will be happy.

I am probably overthinking my training a bit too much and I appreciate everything you suggested and plan on trying out your advice.

I tend to get blue when I focus on one specific goal. I like how you keep your calendar full of potential runs and see where you are as you get closer. My race schedule this year has grown organically and seems to fit where I am, but I like to remain open to the options if something different presents itself.

Hey, I am thinking about the Leadville 100 next year as my first 100…interested in running it with me in July 2007? Hehehe, I can’t help but dream of the future runs. I guess that means I have a positive attitude about progressing into an ultra runner that can finish races.

Another great post, TJ. Hey, if you have a chance…head over to Kim’s site at http://ultranewby.blogspot.com. She planned on running 52 miles at the Mohican 100 last weekend to complete her first 50. She had so much fun out there that she continued on to run her first 100K. It’s a great story.

brownie said...

Here here! I always have races on my calendar, and I realize that one has to put in a certain amount of hard work to finish these, but I've never been one for a hard, set out training plan.

I've been having Leadville thoughts lately too...